Monday, August 9, 2010

The grass is greener in Guatemala

Last weekend, I only had time to go on a trip for a day because Saturday was the Xix group's goodbye party. On Sunday I headed out with four couchsurfers to lake Atitlan. As we were on our way, we decided to go on a big detour to Chichicastenango for the famous Sunday market. Two of the girls on the trip were only in Guatemala a few days and wanted to see as much as possible in their short time here, so we allotted only an hour at the market. I wanted to stay much longer. The colorful fabrics and animal face-shaped masks were so beautiful, but I could only quickly glance at everything I passed. My wallet thanks the others for only allowing me to stay for a short time, but I will be back to empty my pockets to the Guatemalan economy.

After maybe less than an hour, we boarded back on the pickup truck to San Pedro, a city on Lake Atitlan. We exited the highway, passing small towns. We headed uphill until we were in the clouds. Once we were at the top, we drove down the other side of the mountain, and suddenly we were hit by an incredible view of the lake. At the same time we all sang our "ooh's" and "aah's." Picture paradise, and you will see Lake Atitlan. It is one of the sights that blows you away, and as we drove further down the mountain, each angle of the lake is just as beautiful as the next. One forested mountain after another surrounds the lake that glows a bluish-green tone. Although the lake is actually not very clean, from above you could never tell.

One of the girls and I hopped in the back of the pickup to take pictures, which sadly came out mediocre because of the moving truck. We passed through towns around the lake, and every single person we passed, we happily said, "Hola! Buenas tardes!" They all responded with a hello and a smile, and I don't think we missed a single person we passed.

Our first stop in San Pedro was an Israeli hummus store with not so impressive hummus. We ate and chatted, when it began to downpour. Lucky for us, the rain stopped soon after we finished, so we could walk around the city and go swimming in the lake. San Pedro is a very hippy tourist city. Many of the buildings are made from bamboo and shoeless hippies line the main road to sell hand crafted jewelery.

We had come to the lake for a swim, but I of course, forgot my bathing suit. I decided to swim in my underwear, which was slightly difficult because my bottom was a thin material and basically see-through. To make matters a little more difficult, a group of boys were listening to music right where we went for a swim.

I strategically covered a wrap around my waist, and threw it on the rocks as I jumped into the water. I was so relaxed swimming backstroke to look up at the sky and see the mountains in the corner of my eye. It was a moment of pure bliss.

We left at 6:30, just as it got dark. With just minutes in the car, it again began to downpour. The rain was so hard, it was almost impossible to see outside. With no choice, we headed back up and down the mountain. The rain made the dirt roadway into mud, and we passed through a few rain rivers. Glad to not be driving, I fell asleep to the sound of the rain.

1 comment:

  1. You'll love Chichicastenango when you get to spend more time there. Enjoy the lakes, the scenery, the natives and the experiences. Don't forget to plan ahead and be prepared. Always fill your bag with certain essentials like a bathing suit (which does not take up too much space) and your camera.

    Be smart, be safe, be happy and come home soon!!!!! XOXOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete